Adobong baboy sa gata or pork adobo in coconut milk is a version of Filipino pork adobo wherein coconut milk or cream is added towards the end of the cooking process. The additional ingredient makes the regular adobong baboy richer and more interesting.
It is simple to cook this dish. The first thing that I did was to marinate the pork in vinegar, soy sauce, and crushed garlic for 3 hours. However, doing this overnight is better because the meat can totally absorb the flavor from the marinade.
Next is separate the pork from the remaining marinade. I then browned the pork in a pot and added the remaining marinade back, along with water, peppercorn and bay leaves. The pork was cooked until tender and the coconut cream was added afterwards. The entire process sounds simple. Well, it is because it is easy and straightforward.
This dish is best eaten with warm rice. You can also add chili peppers of hot sauce to make it spicy.
Try this Adobong Baboy sa Gata Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Adobong Baboy sa Gata (Pork Adobo in Coconut Milk)
This is a recipe for Adobong Baboy sa Gata.
- Course Pork
- Cuisine Filipino
- Prep Time 1 hour
- Cook Time 1 hour
- Total Time 2 hours
- Servings 4
- Author Vanjo Merano
- 2 lbs. pork belly cubed
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cups coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons whole peppercorn
- 3 pieces of dried bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil optional
- Salt to taste
- Combine pork, soy sauce, vinegar, and crushed garlic. Mix well. Marinate the pork for 3 hours.
- Heat a cooking pot. Drain the liquid marinade from the pork and set it aside.
- Put the marinated pork into the cooking pot. Continue to cook until brown.
- Pour cooking oil. Cook for 1 minute until the garlic browns a bit.
- Pour the marinade and water. Let boil.
- Add whole peppercorn and dried bay leaves. Cover and continue to boil in medium heat until the pork becomes tender.
- Pour coconut cream. Stir. Cover and continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Continue to boil until the coconut milk reduces to half.
- Add salt. Stir.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!