Turbo Crispy Liempo is a tasty and crispy pork belly dish that you can make for lunch or dinner. This can be prepared for any occasion. You can make it as an alternative for Lechon kawali.
How to Cook Turbo Crispy Liempo
Making your own Crispy Liempo is easy. You don’t need to be an experienced cook to make one. There are two cooking processes involved, steaming and broiling. Here is how I do it.
Steaming requires to place the pork belly in a steamer to steam for around 1 hour. This process makes the pork tender. It is essential to obtain a crispy texture later on. Use any kind of steamer during this process.
The pork needs to be prepared after steaming to make it flavorful. I use a meat tenderizer with sharp needles to poke holes on the skin of the pork. It is responsible for the development of the popcorn-like texture on the skin of the pork. The holes also allow the seasoning to penetrate the meat.
Rub salt and garlic with olive oil all over the pork and let it stay for at least 1 hour. This provides flavor. For better results, I marinate the pork overnight.
Broiling makes the pork crispy. A convection oven known as a turbo broiler is necessary to make it happen. Set your turbo broiler to 365F and then broil for 45 minutes or until crispy.
I love to have my crispy pork with a spicy vinegar dip. Lechon sauce or Lechon gravy also makes a perfect dipping sauce. Enjoy it with warm rice and pickled green papaya.
Try this Turbo Crispy Liempo Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Turbo Crispy Liempo
Crispy Broiled Pork Belly
- Course Main Course
- Cuisine Filipino
- Prep Time 15 minutes
- Cook Time 2 hours
- Servings 4 people
- Calories 1864kcal
- Author Vanjo Merano
- 3 lbs. pork belly
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic crushed
- Arrange pork belly slab in a steamer. Steam for 1 hour. Remove from the steamer and let it cool down.
- Poke the skin using a sharp tool such as a metal skewer or a meat tenderizer with a sharp needle blade. Rub salt all over the pork.
- Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Combine olive oil and garlic. Rub all over the pork belly. Let it stay for at least 1 hour. Note: I usually marinate the pork overnight for the best results.
- Remove the garlic from the pork. Arrange inside a turbo broiler. Broil in 365F for 45 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve. Share and enjoy!
Calories: 1864kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 191g | Saturated Fat: 67g | Cholesterol: 245mg | Sodium: 2726mg | Potassium: 653mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 34IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2mg